I’ve been wanting to make a sensory bin for awhile, and I couldn’t resist trying my hand at making a rainbow themed one with St. Patty’s Day just a few weeks away!
All you need is Ziploc bags, rice, and food coloring! Here are the basic steps:
- Measure 1 cup of rice and put in Ziploc bag
- Pour in approximately 3/4 a teaspoon of water into bag
- Add in your food coloring – more drops will make a richer color
- Close bag and mix the rice thoroughly. You may need to put in more food coloring or water if you’re not getting the color you want.
- Lay the rice out for about 20 minutes to an hour (depending on how much water you put in it) on a sheet of tin foil or parchment paper to dry. Once it’s dry it won’t leave color on your hands.
- Repeat steps for any additional colors.
I made the rice during Theo’s nap but this would easily be something fun to have your child help you with!
And as long as your rice is stored in a cool place in a jar or bag, it’s good FOREVER. Yes, you just make this once and have an easy sensory bin on the fly.